Following Wednesday’s victory over Portland Phoenix, AFC Cleveland must now travel to St. Louis, MO midweek to take on USL side Saint Louis FC. As the Royals head into Wednesday’s match, here is what you need to know ahead of the match against Saint Louis FC:
– Saint Louis FC is relatively new, having been founded in 2014 before playing its first season last year
– Saint Louis FC only scored 30 goals last year – third worst in the league – and finished ninth in the Eastern Conference. This could work to AFC Cleveland’s advantage, as the Royals had a great defensive record last season.
– Despite their poor performance in league play, Saint Louis FC managed to defeat Des Moines Menace and Minnesota United before losing to Sporting KC in last year’s edition of the U.S. Open Cup.
– Goalkeeper Ryan Thompson and forward Irvin Herrera are cap-tied players who have featured for Jamaica and El Salvador respectively.
– World Wide Technology Soccer Park, Saint Louis FC’s stadium, suffered after a flood last year but was able to be repaired thanks to its fans who donated $86,000 to the cause.
– In its last match, Saint Louis FC lost against Louisville City 2-0
– Saint Louis FC currently sits in sixth place of the USL’s Western Conference, with a 3-3-2 record.
– Should AFC Cleveland win against Saint Louis FC, the Royals will then play at home against NASL side Minnesota United FC.
The match will take place on Wednesday, May 18 at 8:00 PM ET. Make sure you follow along on Twitter as AFC Cleveland will be live-tweeting the match!